A simple way to assess school readiness.
Download my StartSmart School Readiness App and see if your child can master all the skills in a fun way.
A very inexpensive app that can introduce your child to skills that will help them start kindergarten with confidence.
It’s fun and educational.
Where has 2018 gone?
The kindergarten children have settled into a routine and so have their parents!
And so begin the teacher parent interviews.
It shouldn’t be a time for anxiety or stress but a time for parents and teachers to see if there are any concerns regarding their child’s learning and address any issues in a positive way.
Just remember that learning should be fun!
So important to start the early reading years with phonic instructions.
Phonics Strategies and Reading
When using phonics to teach reading skills, you will achieve better results if you make it fun. Fun with phonics can be achieved in a variety of ways and there are many phonics games available.
There are great apps and reading programs that help build confidence and learning.
As a parent trying to encourage your child to read, there are three rules you should keep in mind:
- Always make sure that the reading material is interesting and fun. Whether the materials are stories, poems or rhymes, the child should be excited about reading. It should never been seen as a chore.Using text with accompanying illustrations is perfect for this.
- Children learn the best when they think of the process as fun and enjoyable. Do not force children into completing their reading task, because then they would not think of reading as a rewarding experience.
If it is seen as a chore and both you and the child rush through the reading, the child may not show effort with their reading and suddenly you hear your child say “I hate reading!”
- Make sure you find a quiet place, use some creativity so you can make the reading fun and then your child will look forward to reading time each day.
Once children learn the basic alphabet and the corresponding sounds of each letter, children can focus on blending those sounds to form the whole word. It is a systematic progression. After words, children learn how to read sentences, then a whole story. Consistently practising these phonetic skills through regular reading will help children to decode and pronounce any words accurately. Then when a child discovers a new word, they automatically know what to do to pronounce it correctly.
Why don’t you
Download StartSmart School Readiness app to help your child begin their phonic’s journey.
FREE COLOURING BOOK
What can StartSmart School Readiness App offer children who have started school or who are just one year away from starting school?
Firstly your child can learn all the letter names and sounds.
Your child can learn the correct letter formation. Excellent handwriting practice and develop fine motor skills.
Learn shapes and colours
Write and identify numbers 1-20
It’s fun and entertaining and simple to use.
Also a free colouring book makes the price of $2:99 great value.
Your child will be entertained and learn at the same time.
AND become familiar with using the ipad.
DOWNLOAD NOW from App store.
Download now! startsmartschoolapp.com
You can practise writing letters correctly using lots of colours.I call it RAINBOW WRITING.
KidsMatter is an Australian mental health and well being initiative.Checkout this great website that has excellent information and great videos especially the importance of children’s mental health.
A must read for parents whose children are starting kindergarten.
“Starting school is an important time for children and families.Children who make a positive start to school are more likely to:
- feel comfortable,relaxed and valued
- feel excited and motivated to learn
- have good relationship with others
- develop a sense of belonging within the school community.” kidsmatter.edu.au
DOWNLOAD NOW IN TIME FOR KINDERGARTEN 2018.